北大筹委会发表公告，根据5月6日对全校1476个宿舍进行民意调查，赞成继续罢课的占67.2%，主张复课的占24%， 弃权的8.8%，因此从5月7日起开始罢课。并提出复课的五个条件：“1。要求人民日报就其4月26日的社论，公开纠正其错误之处；2。要求承认学生自治会的合法性；3。要求国务院立即公布调查官倒的统计数字及成立审查官倒小组，着手惩治官倒；4。要求 立即给世界经济导报总编辑钦本立复职；5。要求重新审议北京 市关于游行示威的十条。”
Wang Dan writes on 7 May 2010:
The Beijing University Preparatory Committee issued a statement about a public opinion poll conducted at all 1476 dormitories on campus on 6 May. The results indicated that 67.2% students were in favour of continuing strike action, 24% preferred to resume classes, and 8.8% abstained. It was therefore decided that strike would commence again from 7 May.
The Committee also put forward five demands as conditions for resuming classes:
- The People’s Daily would openly apologise for the wrong information it published in the 26 April editorial;
- The legal status of the independent student union would be acknowledged;
- The State Council would immediately release survey statistics on corrupt officials and would set up an anti-corruption group to review the cases and to start prosecuting corrupt officials;
- The Chief Editor of the World Economic Herald Qin Benli would be immediately reinstated; and
- The 10 regulations governing demonstrations in Beijing Municipality would be reviewed.